Lapérouse, a Parisian institution since 1766
Established in 1766 by the King's Limonadier (the person in charge of the royal beverages), who transformed the place into a wine merchant, this Parisian restaurant is as famous for its gorgeous architecture and exquisite décor as it is for its excellent cuisine.
Boasting beautiful woodwork, wall frescoes and low ceilings, this theatrical setting, which seems suspended in time, has been very carefully preserved. Here, where the sound of cutlery and clinking crystal has resonated for more than 250 years, there is the feeling that the spirit of the days of George Sand, Victor Hugo and Gustave Flaubert still prevails.
The small, private rooms were originally established so that the merchants of the Marché de la Vallée, located just opposite, could make their cash transactions in privacy and with discretion.
Since the late 19th century heyday of Auguste Escoffier, the ‘king of chefs and chef of kings’, the restaurant has been regarded as an exceptional establishment, and formed part of the first Michelin Guide three-star promotion. Today, those who love the place still find there the pleasure of a cuisine that remains faithful to the recipes that helped build the Lapérouse reputation.
Lapérouse, 51 Quai des Grands Augustins, 6th
Less than a 20 minute walk from the Hotel Monge
Tel. 01 43 26 68 04
Photo: Lapérouse - Paris